Category Archives: Wartime devastation of Dover and the Abercrombie Plan

St Edmund’s Chapel – dedicated by one Saint to another Saint

The tiny Chapel of St Edmund on Priory Road, sometimes in 19th century books referred to as the Church of St John, has had a chequered history. It is believed that a ‘Cemetery of the Poor’ was established in 1131 … Continue reading

Posted in St Edmund's Chapel, St Edmund's Chapel - St Edmund & St Richard, St Edmund's Chapel - St Edmund & St Richard, St Edmund's Chapel - St Edmund & St Richard, St Edmund's Chapel - St Edmund & St Richard, St Edmund's Chapel - St Edmund & St Richard, St Edmund's Chapel - St Edmund & St Richard, St Edmund's Chapel - St Edmund & St Richard, St Edmund's Chapel - St Edmund & St Richard | 3 Comments

Wartime devastation of Dover and the Abercrombie Plan

Town Planner, Professor Patrick Abercrombie (1879-1957) in 1928 provided East Kent with a plan to meet what was then believed to be a dramatic expansion of the Kent Coalfield. The economic depression of the 1930s put an end to those … Continue reading

Posted in Armed Services, Buildings, Local Government, Wartime devastation of Dover and the Abercrombie Plan, Wartime devastation of Dover and the Abercrombie Plan, Wartime devastation of Dover and the Abercrombie Plan | Comments Off on Wartime devastation of Dover and the Abercrombie Plan